Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting Outta Here-- We Hope.

Shit. I just heard there will be more restrictions on transportation due to the spread of ReDS. It sounds like most restrictions center around Louisiana, but who knows?

X and I have finally settled on a plan of action to get out of here, but we still need to scrape up the funds to do it. I will definitely have to dip into my 401k, despite the massive penalties. But the rest? We're still working on that.

As for the destination: Oregon. It's a place that's been in the back of my mind for a long time-- before any of the current crises-- and it's where perhaps the most kickass survivalist I know lives with her boyfriend. S is a woman who once converted a strip of land from driveway blacktop to fully functioning permaculture garden in less than two years. Kickass. Seriously, check them out. Everything home-made or community-traded, like so many people these days. But they were always way ahead of the curve. I mean, selling cat milk? Who'da thought.

It's going to be such a tremendous improvement over our current situation, even if a part of us can never truly leave here.

We need to get crackin' if we're gonna duck any transportation bans.

2 comments:

infrarad said...

Oregon is a wonderful place. Portland is ahead of every city in the US in terms of bike infrastructure---I became a bike commuter in 2006, and I was no trailblazer to it.

However, please be careful. The secession debate is getting extremely... lively. I don't want to paint secessionists with a broad brush (hell, I might be one--on the fence still) but some of them are pretty xenophobic. It's a minority, but there have been two or three incidents in the newspapers over the last few months. (All had alcohol involved.)

I don't want to scare you off. We are nice people! Just be aware that drunken belligerents will sometimes choose targets based on accent or poor choice of geographically specific hoodie. Be alert and you'll be okay.

infrarad2019.tumblr.com

L'el said...

Thanks, Infrarad. I never thought I would feel so ought of touch with social realities. The "rules" of society really do keep changing, and it boggles my mind. We'll be careful; I promise.

But first we have to work on getting there. Ai.