As I've mentioned, current shortages have driven many people to um, creative alternatives to traditional food sources. (My second experience with the below delicacy turned out to be pretty gamy-- and after so many years as a vegetarian the texture of any meat is odd to me. X and I really need to get out of here.)
But before the shortages, society was getting creative with food in entirely different ways. I scrounged up an old article about nutraceuticals. In the '50s, everyone seemed to think the future would involve lots of pills instead of food. Yuck. In the actual "future" we figured out how to provide missing vitamins as additives in our existing foods. This came in handy when particular fresh food supply shipments became uncertain, and we had to start limiting ourselves more to local fare.
Now though, at least in a lot of places-- at least where X and I are stuck-- we've fallen a step backwards, and the enhancements aren't available any more. More than a step. What I wouldn't give for regular, mundane food, especially kinds that grow on trees rather than scurry up them. Sigh.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Food can't be called food anymore, it should be called "chemical compound".
Post a Comment